21.9.08

what is in a...

name?

a lot.

some time ago i went to a (let's say) food establishment that when you place your order they take your name, and then call out your name when the food is ready to be picked up.  well this food establishment stopped that.  i received a 'buzzer' to let me know that my food is ready.  i didn't feel welcome.  i often looked forward to giving my name, and having them call it out.  it just made me feel welcome in their restaurant.

conversely; some time ago i went to a bar to meet a friend for some drinks.  i started a tab, and the bartenders (i was there during a shift change) both called me by my name as i ordered drinks, and to just check in on me.  i just really made me feel welcome at the bar.  now granted this was during the week, so they weren't that busy, but still.

so if you're in business try and use the person's name as much as possible.  needless to say i'm looking forward to going back to that bar, and not that food establishment.

amitabha...

Blogged with the Flock Browser

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Some people like to make fun of me because I like to go back to the same places. But when they know your name and know what you drink for example why not go back? No one wants to be just a number...

Wa said...

No, I make fun of you because you like to go back to the same crappy places. Like the place with the subpar food where I bit into a raw chicken wing...blech... And then there's the other place with the sticky floor and the piss poor service...

The knowing of names is a good thing. The problem is I aim too high...I want good personalized service and consistent quality chow... But I'm a dreamer...