18.1.08

this is an open letter to...

the guy that has the bumper sticker on his car that reads 'don't put my flag on your foreign car'.

dear sir,
forgive my ignorance, but have you ever heard the phrase 'free market economy'. this is where i have the freedom (you do know what that means?) to buy and purchase goods and services. the other thing that helps out this idea, is that we live in a capitalistic economy. again that whole freedom thing of buying and selling goods comes into play. basically...if i have a good or service to provide, i am able to sell that product to the buying public. they are then free to buy it, or not.

this is because the purchaser as the right to 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.' it is also, because of this notion, that if the purchaser believes that my product will make them happy, they are free (oops, there's that word again) to buy my product.

so as i begin to research products that i would like to buy (in this case a car), i am looking for a car that will benefit me the most. what becomes the most utilitous object of my purchase. i do a lot of driving so an suv will not work for me. so i find a car that gets the most gas milage. and it so happens to be the vw jetta with the tdi. therefore i have made a purchase that has made me the happiest out of all other purchases (as far as cars go).

it just so happens that it comes from germany. it's not that i was looking for a german car (although they all are pretty sweet). now if there was an american car company that came out with something close in quality, milage; i might have looked at it. however that is not the case. i know that i don't have to worry about the engine for, about, two hundred thousand miles. i get damn good milage, for the driving that i do. now, my question to you...what american car does that?

so if anything...maybe i am more 'american' (whatever that means) than you. because i practice my freedom, as opposed to being led around like a blind pig.

so i will now pick up an american flag, put it on my car; and then when i see you again, i'm going to get in front of you, and then slow down a little just to make sure you are able to see it.

thank you.

[shalom...]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And you did not even address the foreign cars that are manufactured in this country. Would that idiot with the bumper sticker object to that? Bottom line give me a quality product. All things equal I will buy local first, but if not then I want the best I can afford. To not shop that way is un-American as far as I am concerned...

hamad said...

not only that, but what american cars are made here? and when i say this, i mean from the ground up. where all the little bits, and parts were manufactured here, put together here.

and you're right, (in your words) is un-american.